Daughters of the Nile
The thought leading to the formation of the Daughters of the Nile originated in the home of Mrs. Mable R. Krows, Seattle, Washington. She and a number of other Shriners’ wives on February 20, 1913, formed the Ladies of the Nile Club. The first local unit (temple) was named "Hatosu" in honor of an Egyptian queen. Although the order was formed in 1913, it did not become incorporated until 1949.
Men have typically played a vital role in structuring and organizing women’s fraternal orders. The Daughters of the Nile is no exception. For instance, the ritual for the Daughters of the Nile was written by Charles Faustis Whaley.
The purpose of the order is to pursue "a philosophy of living which will enable them [the members], when shadows lengthen, to look back on a life well spent." The order also assists the Shriners in their work pertaining to crippled children. The emblem of the order is a white rose.
Membership is open to wives, mothers, daughters, sisters, and widows of Shriners. In 1978 the order had 78,000 members. Only white candidates are accepted into membership. The order has Temples in the US and Canada.
As has already been noted, local units are known as "Temples." On the national level the society refers to itself as the "Supreme Temple." It meets in convention annually.